Thursday, January 21, 2016

Taste of the Sea Edition


Before a year ago you could not get me to even considering eating anything from the sea. Distinct memories come back to me of me wailing and crying while my parents cooked lobsters or fish. I remember thinking "how could you kill Arial's friends and EAT them" (blissfully unaware on so many accounts). But since then I have tried several items from the sea, shocking my family and long standing friends. Recently Steve and I tried Salmon and I actually enjoyed it. So here is my first ever Seafood edition of Tasty Tuesday. Looking to try this recipe as soon as I locate green peppercorns. I will let you all know where I locate them once I get my hands on them!


Please make the consideration to purchase wild salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) as it is more sustainably fished 

Tip:


  • To skin salmon, place fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.

::Ingredients::


- 1 1/4 lbs wild salmon filet -Please make the consideration to purchase wild salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) as it is more sustainably fished 
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter (cut into small pieces so it will cook evenly and quickly into the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns in vinegar, rinsed and crushed

::Directions::


- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium -consider using sunflower oil :)
- Sprinkle salmon portions with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Set aside the remaining pinch of salt 
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice and crushed peppercorns
- Add salmon to skillet, gently turning halfway, and cook until just opaque in the center (4 o 7 minutes total)
- Remove the salmon and set aside (important: keep burner on warm/low until ready to create sauce)
- Top each portion of fish with about 2 teaspoons of sauce each

To create the sauce:

Remove the pan from heat and immediately add the lemon juice, peppercorns, butter and remaining pinch of salt.  The heat allows the butter to cook quickly and blend into the sauce mixture evenly. Carefully swirl the pan until butter is blended into sauce mixture.

This is a recommended to serve with smashed potatoes and sautéed kale.



Happy Eating!
Tiesha



No comments:

Post a Comment